As a graduate of mechanical engineering, you may wonder where you can find an excellent job.
It can be difficult to research where and how to launch your mechanical engineering career.
You may need to know if you can work in a tech company, what you do in a tech company, what to consider when looking for a job, and the best tech companies hiring mechanical engineers.
In the guide, you will learn everything you need to know to find and land a great position.
Do Mechanical Engineers Work In Tech Companies?
Mechanical engineers are essential team members for any tech company.
A tech company researches, designs, and develops electronics, software, hardware, or internet or satellite services.
Mechanical engineers analyze consumer problems or concerns, look at gaps in the tech market, and develop effective tech solutions.
They design, develop, and test innovative parts, devices, and systems.
If you want to work for a tech company, you may perform one or more of the following tasks:
- Conceptual Design: In the early phases of tech development, mechanical engineers develop outlines of device or system purposes, parts, assembly, and functions.
- Analysis: Engineers test, analyze, and report on structural and thermal processes to make sure devices or systems work properly.
- Materials and Parts Testing: When designing and developing new products, engineers may be responsible for testing and selecting the best materials and parts.
- Heat Transfer Analysis: For many projects, engineers need to gather and analyze data regarding thermodynamics, especially heat transfer.
- Project Management: Engineers who have experience or further expertise may oversee projects.
- Development: Engineers work in teams to build devices and systems.
- Testing: Engineers test projects to make sure they run smoothly. They may also work with other testers to verify user experiences.
- Data Interpretation: Engineers need to read and interpret specific sets of data to see if their products are meeting needs and reaching goals.
- Consulting: Engineers with higher degrees and certifications can work as consultants on important projects.
- Economics: Mechanical products need to be relevant. Some companies have dedicated teams for market research and development. A mechanical engineer onboard can help determine realistic possibilities based on the information at hand.
Learn more: Do Mechanical Engineers Make Phones?
What To Consider When Looking For A Job?
When looking for a mechanical engineering job, it is important to know what to look for in a company and in a job position.
Peers, family members, and authority figures may pressure you to take the first job offered.
However, long-term job satisfaction and personal stability depend on particular factors:
- Field: If you have your heart set on a tech company, you still have many different fields to choose from. You may wish to work in the aerospace, automotive, communications, control systems, AI and robotics, or ergonomics industries just to name a few. ,
- Salary: The average entry-level salary in the United States is $58,812. The average salary is $95,300 per year. Since this is the case, you should look for an entry-level salary between these two numbers. If you have higher degrees or certifications, you should expect your job to pay more.
- Similar Values: Mechanical engineers have a high level of job satisfaction because they can better their own lives while helping the world. If you find your values align with a certain company’s values, ethics, or mission, you will likely enjoy and engage with your work.
- Career Progression: If the company offers regular opportunities for advancement and provides training or education courses, this is a great sign for building a career you enjoy and benefit from.
- Benefits: Any professional, technical job should come with a benefits package that suits your needs. Examples may include health insurance, paid vacations, paid sick leave, retirement benefits, education assistance, and disability insurance.
- Work-Life Balance: Many modern tech companies offer flexible hours, remote work opportunities, excellent benefits packages, training options, and daycare assistance. Ask your employer about how they support their employees if you struggle with mental health, have a family, or wish to improve your knowledge and skill.
Best Tech Companies For Mechanical Engineers
The current job outlook for mechanical engineers is very good.
There are approximately 20,200 open mechanical engineering positions a year in the United States.
That said, it can still be hard to find a job that suits your preferences and needs.
You can consider the following best tech companies hiring mechanical engineers:
Boeing is one of the biggest names in the aerospace industry. They design and develop cutting-edge airplanes, spacecraft, and defense products.
To qualify for a job at Boeing, you will need at least a Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering or a related engineering field. Most job positions also require 1-2 years of experience in the field.
Google runs a popular search engine, web browser, and digital device platform. They also design, develop, and maintain other web-based services.
They hire candidates at the top of the field. You may benefit from having advanced degrees, specializations, unique accomplishments, and extensive experience.
Microsoft is one of the world’s largest hardware and software companies. They value intelligence, passion, and skills.
Getting a job at Microsoft is highly competitive, but if you have experience and unique accomplishments, highlight them on your resume, cover letter, and during the interview process
Apple is another excellent company to work for as a mechanical engineer. For most of their positions, they ask for a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, plenty of experience (3 years or more) in the field, and excellent verbal and written skills.
Graduating from mechanical engineering and moving into your professional career can be intimidating.
When you know what you bring to a company’s table as a professional, also consider what a company can do for you as an employee.
Now that you know how to find an employer that is a great match for you, you are well-equipped to enter the job market.