If you are interested in designing or developing new phones and other smart devices, you can get in on all the action as a mechanical engineer.
Read more below to determine precisely what mechanical engineers contribute to the process and what other types of devices mechanical engineers make.
Mechanical engineers are important in designing and building efficient, functional phones.
Since smartphones require a significant amount of design to work and function in the intended ways, mechanical engineers are helpful in almost every stage of development.
One of the most prominent sectors for mechanical engineers in research and development.
They can collect and prepare relevant data, purchase parts, and perform quality testing.
Another popular specialization is design.
Mechanical engineers have the expertise and skill to produce innovative product ideas and design parts and devices.
In advanced positions, they may oversee the physical development of the design.
However, mechanical engineers may typically only come into that process during quality testing and optimization.
You can also find mechanical engineers in designing, developing, maintaining, and repairing the machines that create phones and their hardware.
Mechanical engineers can work in almost every phase of phone development, but how exactly do they contribute to the project?
Their most important responsibilities and tasks include:
- Choose materials that allow each part to work as intended, hold up against elements, and contribute to the device’s safety.
- Design plastic or glass parts that are hard to break and tough against falls
- Design metal parts that work with the other types of materials and are considerably lightweight
- Develop efficient cooling methods for the device
- Design the enclosure for the phone
- Decide on the best assembly method for all parts
- Organize the assembly process
- Design the machines that will create and assemble the product
- Maintain and repair those machines
- Test the phone and ensure all features hold up to project and company standards
- Ensure all mechanical parts and systems do not interfere with any other system or process
- Consult for other projects involving mechanical engineering
Learn more: Do Mechanical Engineers Work In Groups?
Mechanical engineers are not the only type of engineers integral to the process of making phones.
Other types of engineers who help make the cell phones of today and tomorrow possible include:
- Electrical Engineers: Electrical engineers research, design, develop, and test electrical equipment and systems in a phone.
- Hardware Engineers: Every smartphone has a hardware system complete with a circuit board, processor, memory chip, and other necessary equipment. Computer engineers design, develop, and optimize these parts and ensure they work together.
- Software Engineers: Software engineers design, create, and program smartphone software systems. They also make and design many critical applications on smart devices.
- AI Engineers: As more companies create machine-learning processes and phone techniques, AI engineers are becoming more important in the smartphone field. For instance, AI engineers develop accessibility programs or personal assistants like Apple’s Siri.
- Systems Engineers: System engineers look at the cellphones of the last and design more efficient ways to accomplish similar or better processes.
- Telecommunication Engineers: Telecommunications engineers make data and voice transfer possible. Phones may work with the internet or satellite systems to transmit information quickly and securely.
Learn more: Can Mechanical Engineers Work At Apple?
Mechanical engineers create most devices and machines that have moving parts.
Apart from cutting-edge phones, mechanical engineers play a significant role in the development of:
- Tablets & Computers: Similar to phones, mechanical engineers work on the hardware for a computer’s construction and system.
- Nano-Tech Devices: Mechanical engineers drive innovation behind some of the latest and potential nano-tech devices.
- Robots: AI & Robots require AI engineers and mechanical engineers to help design and develop moveable, interacting parts.
- Lasers: Mechanical engineers need to build proper structures and mounts to hold lasers in place.
- Sensors: Sensors are a significant component of many devices, especially thermal sensors.
- Controllers: Machines need to perform and complete tasks with precision. Mechanical engineers ensure these machines have the appropriate control mechanisms.
- Navigation Systems: Along with electrical engineers and aerospace engineers, mechanical engineers design and create GPS equipment that can perform on land, water, air, or space.
- Household Appliances: Any household appliance has a mechanical engineer behind its design and development.
- Craft: Mechanical engineers also design and develop larger devices and machines such as cars, trucks, trains, boats, airplanes, and spacecraft. They may work on the vehicle itself or smaller components such as motors or navigation systems.
Learn more: Can A Mechanical Engineer Do Robotics?
Mechanical engineers can invent unique products.
If you are a mechanical engineer and have a brilliant idea, you are on the right path to bringing your technology to life.
Mechanical engineers have an excellent foundation for inventing new materials, devices, and machines.
Likewise, they typically work in organizations that value innovation and creativity for new ideas.
Therefore, mechanical engineers have unique chances to invent and produce products.
Additionally, they can usually accomplish this from any specialization.
Research and development engineers can create new materials or show how to transform old, unstable materials.
Design engineers can conceive and design new products to accomplish a goal or solve a problem.
Testing engineers can understand how to make a certain process safer or more efficient.
Repair and maintenance engineers can gather critical insights and ideas into how to optimize machines or increase machine longevity.
As a mechanical engineer, you can design and build innovative new phones that meet or exceed customer expectations.
Likewise, you can invent new, exciting materials, parts, or products that may revolutionize the phone industry.
If you would like to specialize in phones, it is an excellent opportunity for a mechanical engineering graduate!